CSAR is a registered charity, and membership benefits include access to:
- 12 lectures (in-person and/or via Zoom) per year
- complimentary wine, tea, coffee and biscuits at the lectures
- 2-3 visits per year to organisations at the cutting edge of applied research (for which there is a supplementary charge of £10 per visit).
To attend a CSAR event we would prefer you to become a member; joining online takes only a couple of minutes, and some of our membership categories do not require an upfront fee. If you don't join, we can't inform you of upcoming lectures and events.
- Pay-As-You-Go: this category is aimed at people who would like to try a lecture or two before considering an annual subscription; or who are unable to attend regularly.
For those who would like to support CSAR, and to have free access to face-to-face lectures and access to the Visits programme, we offer the following annual subscriptions:
- Individual membership (£25 per annum)
- Family membership (£35 per annum)
Subscription memberships run for 12 calendar months from the date of joining. The rates for individuals and families have remained the same for the last eight years. Subscribing members have the right to vote at annual general meetings.
If you are a UK taxpayer who has an individual or family subscription, we would be very grateful if you would complete a Gift Aid form.
We also offer the following concessionary memberships for which there are no upfront fee. These rates are subsidised by donations to CSAR and other activities.:
- Postgraduate student: For current postgraduate students of any university.
- Undergraduate student: For current undergraduate students of any university.
- Recent PhD: This category is for members who have received their PhD in the last three years. If you received your PhD more than three years ago, we ask that you either take out an individual subscription or join as a Pay-As-You-Go member.
You can join CSAR online.
If your membership requires a subscription fee, we accept debit and credit cards and PayPal. These are the easiest payment methods for us to process, and your membership will be effective immediately. You can also arrange to pay by online bank transfer, in which case your membership will be 'payment pending', becoming fully effective once we can check that the transfer has cleared. As a final option we do accept cheques but we would appreciate your only using this method if you can't manage one of the above alternatives. Cheques are slow and labour-intensive for us, and are a poor use of our volunteers' time.
For free membership for teachers and school students, please go to Schools.
If you wish to change membership category before it expires - for instance, to switch from Pay-As-You-Go to an individual subscription - please email email@example.com from the email address that we hold for you, and we can arrange for this to happen.
Thank you for your interest in CSAR and its programme. If you would like to help us maintain our activities at their current level, you can make a donation to CSAR here, via PayPal or a bank card. Your gift will by default go into our general income fund; if you would like it to be used for a specific purpose such as the PhD Students Awards scheme, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. CSAR is a registered charity run by volunteers.